Curious about the Toyota RAV4’s panoramic sunroof? If you’ve ever seen one before, they’re quite impressive!
It provides a much more expansive view of the sky than a traditional sunroof design. The all-glass roof also provides an impressive exterior appearance as well.
There are a few important things to know when considering a panoramic sunroof on a Toyota RAV4, so we’ll break down everything you need to be aware of, including standard vs. panoramic differences, availability, cost, reported issues, and more!
Panoramic vs. Standard
Toyota offers 2 different sunroofs (or “moonroof”) options for the RAV4 which have substantial differences between them.
In short, the panoramic sunroof covers a much larger area of the roof, while the standard sunroof is much smaller.
As you can see from the highlighted areas, the panoramic sunroof is at least double the size of the standard RAV4 sunroof.
In my opinion, the overall appearance of the roof with the panoramic sunroof is much more appealing and sleek.
The interior view of the panoramic vs. standard sunroof is quite different, as expected because of their drastic size difference.
You’ll have a much greater viewable area with the panoramic roof, especially as a backseat passenger.
You should also be aware that the panoramic sunroof will not open completely along the whole pane of glass. Only the front section of the panoramic sunroof opens. However, the panoramic sunroof still opens slightly more than the standard sunroof.
One other small detail is that the material that covers the sunroof (when it is closed) is different between the panoramic and standard sunroof. The panoramic sunroof uses a lighter cloth material to cover the sunroof when closed, and the standard sunroof uses a thicker, more durable material.
If you’re interested in purchasing a Toyota RAV4 with a panoramic sunroof, you’ll need to know which models can be equipped with it.
A panoramic sunroof is only available on the 2019+ Toyota RAV4 Gas Limited, Hybrid Limited, Hybrid Limited, and Prime XSE.
None of these trim levels come standard with the panoramic sunroof. You’ll need to get the highest level of the “technology” package to have the panoramic sunroof.
Next, let’s talk about how much this will cost.
As I mentioned earlier, the panoramic sunroof does not come standard on any RAV4. However, it is available as an option on certain trim levels.
To get a panoramic sunroof on your Toyota RAV4, you’ll need the highest-level of the technology package. This costs $2,500-3,500 depending on your trim level.
Yes, that’s expensive for a sunroof, but there’s a reason why!
The technology package includes much more than just the panoramic sunroof, which helps justify the cost. Depending on the trim level, the technology package may also include the following features in addition to the panoramic sunroof:
- 360-degree overhead view monitoring
- Weather package
- Power liftgate
- Smart key system
- Premium audio
Although the panoramic sunroof is expensive, it comes with other features that may be very valuable to you!
Although the panoramic sunroof looks great, you may be wondering if there are any issues that people experience with it.
There a two main problems that some people reported, however they are uncommon:
- Random shattering of the glass, specifically in 2021 models
- Water leakage
Again, keep in mind that these issues are uncommon. Personally, I would not worry about them.
Lastly, you should consider if a large glass sunroof could be an issue for your climate. If you live in an area with lots of sunshine and hot weather, having a fully transparent roof could make it difficult to keep your vehicle cool.
Is It Worth It?
It can be difficult to decide if a panoramic sunroof is actually worth adding to your RAV4. It offers a great view with minimal downside, but it can also be quite expensive.
To help you decide if a panoramic sunroof is worth it, answer the following questions:
- Do you plan on using a roof rack? (It will obstruct your view)
- Do you also want the other features that come with the technology package? (If not, then the price might not be worth it)
- Will you actually use the sunroof? (Some owners leave it closed and never use it)
Thoughts from Owners
We’ve collected feedback from RAV4 panoramic sunroof owners online. Here’s what they’re saying about it!
How to Buy
If you’ve decided you want a panoramic sunroof on your RAV4, don’t get excited yet!
Unfortunately, RAV4s that are equipped with a panoramic sunroof can be difficult to come by, especially when purchasing new.
According to a salesperson that I spoke with, Toyota simply isn’t manufacturing many RAV4s with this option. You may need to do a lot of searching and waiting to find a new RAV4 with a panoramic sunroof. This may also vary by location.
Luckily, you may have better chances searching for used RAV4s (2019 or newer). You’ll likely find a larger selection than what comes in at your local dealership.
Best Times to Use It
Getting excited about the panoramic sunroof? I don’t blame you. It’s an awesome feature and great that so many vehicles are starting to offer it. We can only hope it becomes more common since there aren’t many downsides to this technology.
Here are some of my favorite times to use a panoramic sunroof to give you some excitement and inspiration:
- Sunny days: One of my favorite times to open the panoramic sunroof is on sunny days. There’s nothing like feeling the warm rays coming directly into the vehicle from above.
- Starry nights: The panoramic sunroof can be the perfect window into the starry night sky above. It’s great for spotting stars and gazing at the moon.
- Scenic drives: Feeling the breeze is one of the best parts of a scenic drive. I would recommend opening the sunroof along with all the windows for the full experience. Also, if you’re doing a low-speed scenic drive, you may also consider sticking your head out of the sunroof (if you’re not the driver!)
- City excursions: Skyscrapers can be quite impressive, but are difficult to view from the car windows. A panoramic sunroof opens your viewing experience to see the towering buildings above you.
- Fresh air: Sometimes you just need an extra breath of fresh air. The panoramic sunroof is the perfect way to do this without having the wind directly in your face.
The Toyota RAV4’s panoramic sunroof is quite an impressive add-on, so you should definitely consider it when shopping for a RAV4.
There are a lot of things to think about when determining if a panoramic sunroof is right for you. I hope this guide helped you make an informed decision.
If you have any other questions about the Toyota RAV4’s sunroof, feel free to contact me.